Monday, October 26, 2009

Short Stories

When comparing the two short stories, I personally liked The Lawsuit better. The younger wife seemed to resemble someone like a step mother and I thought it was interesting to see how she brought the lawsuit upon her own family. The situation in the story really reminded me of step families within our own county. One problem that I did have with the story was how dramatic it seemed. However it was a short story so I guess a lot had to be included in it to make it complete. I also would have liked to see what the verdict would have been in the case.
The second story, A Long-Term Plan, was filled with irony. A man in his 70’s was so use to using other people for their wealth, especially his mother’s, becomes an overnight millionaire and after making plans for what he is going to do with his money, he slips into a food coma. He had lived his whole life doing absolutely nothing to benefit others. Karma? Both stories by Naguib Mahfouz were interesting.

1 comment:

  1. This is what I thought too! It reminded me of the soap operas on t.v. where the youthful, yet mean golddigging stepmother comes in and swindles the family out of their life savings. But when we went through the discussion in class, it made me think twice on the context of the story.

    ReplyDelete